February 23, 2010

The "other" shot heard round the world...

Or at least all around DC. 
I could watch this for days on end.  I know this shows the slightly barbaric nature of professional ice hockey, but I love it.  There are three reasons to love this hit from a hockey perspective. First and foremost, this is a clean, legal hit.  You can see at the very beginning that Jagr is carrying the puck with his head down.Ovechkin was making a play on it, therefore it isn't illegal.   Second, to a long time Caps fan like myself, this is just karma, beautiful, violent karma.  Lastly, the Russians took that puck and scored the game winning goal, again showing that physical play is, and should be part of the professional game.   Jagr was unhurt on the play. He got up, finished his shift, and played the rest of the game.  I'll have to see if I can find the video of Jagr doing the postgame interview with a broken visor.  I wonder if he could get Ovechkin to autograph it for him.  

I'm still cheering for the USA in the tournament though. It should be a great week of hockey.  Enjoy!  Thanks to On Frozen Blog for the image.

s

1 comment:

  1. This is one of the biggest hits I've ever seen in any sport. Love it.

    ReplyDelete