September 10, 2010

Hydrostatic Balance

I don't have much news to report this week, it's been a slow one for me, which isn't always a bad thing.  I do have one thing to be proud of though.  I'm carrying a 92% avg in my Algebra class.  That's an "A".  I'm a solid two weeks ahead of the class, and I'm having fun.  Don't get me wrong, were only talking about Algebra I here, not rocket science, but I've never had an "A" in any math class ever.  I will keep you up to date.

I also learned this week another interesting fact about the atmosphere. There are two forces at work that keep our atmosphere in place. The first and most obvious is gravity. Gravity holds our thin little blanket of atmosphere close to the Earth's surface.  The second force is called the Gradient Pressure Force(GPF).  The GPF is essentially the atmosphere's desire to expand and fly away into space.  These two pressures form a perfect balance, known as "Hydrostatic Balance" that keep the atmosphere in place in a perfect position for us to be able to live under it.  Pretty cool huh.
Next week....wind. 

s

No comments:

Post a Comment